Skin is your first line of defense against external pollutants and it protects the body in several ways.
One of the most important functions of the skin is that it forms a barrier around your body to keep out invasive bacteria and environmental hazards .
Your face tends to get the most exposure and that is why getting monthly professional exfoliating treatments such as microdermabrasion will help fight free radical damage and help slow the aging process.
Here are some tips to help keep your skin, and your body healthy in between treatments:
1. Use a daily moisturizer with sunscreen on your face and add to your hands before you drive to help prevent sun damage. Be sure to reapply every hour when you are outdoors for prolonged periods.
2. Avoid dry skin by drinking plenty of water. Experts recommend drinking half your weight in ounces.
3. Reduce stress with a little daily meditation or yoga, take a quick walk and remember to breath deeply when you feel stress coming on, it’ll help you recenter your focus.
4. Eat your fruit and veggies and reduce sugar intake. Limiting caffeine is also a good idea as it can lead to dehydration. If you need a midday pick me up, trade your caffeinated drink for a green smoothie with a little protein or a raw kombucha.
5. And finally, get enough sleep. Sleep is such an important part of the bodies defense against many ills. Sleep deprivation can cause stress and sickness so be sure to turn off your electronics an hour before bed and do some deep breathing exercises and catch up on your reading instead of screen time.